Wednesday 27 March 2013

Ten Tips for Teenagers

Hey!

So, as you may have gathered from my posts (or if you know me personally) I've had some experience being a teenager. Sadly this 'experience' is almost over, but I thought I'd relive it a little by sharing my top ten tips for being a teenager.

1. If you have a prepaid phone and quite limited credit per month, don't worry! I have many methods for saving the dollars and minutes. Firstly - never call anyone. If you desperately need to call someone, simply dial their number and in less than one minute (it shouldn't take this long...) explain that you're low on credit and politely ask them to call you back. Then talk as long as you need to.
Secondly - you'd be surprised how few letters and symbols are required for a text message to make sense. This will condense a 4 page text to a 1 page text, cutting the cost down considerably! Here are some real, personal text examples from when I was 13 and 14.

D u wnt 2 go 2 d moVs w me?

ThkU for 2nit. U r wondrfl.

2. Not everything has to be an acronym. Believe it or not, it CAN be confusing. When you say 'YOLO', you could be saying, 'You Orang-utan Loving Ogre', or 'You Only Like Oranges'. Honestly though, I have had more than one hilarious moment with the acronym 'LOL', which I'm sure most of you will agree means 'Laugh Out Loud'. The first problem with this acronym is simply - where did it come from? Who cares if you're laughing out loud? Who does that when they're texting anyway?! The second problem is that it can also stand for 'Lots of Love'. I recently received a Facebook message from someone which said, "I miss you, it's been ages since we talked :'( LOL!!!". This left me sad and confused.

3. Don't refer to yourself as a 'Twelvie'. When I was twelve, the word 'Twelvie' didn't exist, but from recent conversations I have gathered that being twelve doesn't automatically make you a 'Twelvie' - and being a 'Twelvie' doesn't mean you're twelve. I know - odd. The urban dictionary defines it in two ways.

The first: Kids who think they are tough rollin' around with their friends on scooters
AND
The second: A person of the opposite sex who is noticeably younger than yourself, often twelve years old

Ok then?

I'm not fully sure why you shouldn't be a 'Twelvie', and on this basis I'm going to say that it's perfectly ok to be one despite the negative connotations that accompany the title.

4. Wear your caps the right way. All I want to do is turn them around.

5. Make sure you have the right friends. By this, I don't mean 'get in the cool crowd'. The teenage years are very influential times - I still feel like I'm influenced by the people around me today. Make sure they're good influences. Ask yourself, 'Do they care about me as much as I care about them?' If the answer is no? You know the answer.

6. Learn how to make fun of yourself. No, not in a self-harming, self-esteem hurting way. Learn to go with the jokes (but don't put up with bullying) and don't take yourself too seriously. I was forced to do this because of my inability to suppress stupid thoughts from reaching and exploding out of my mouth. A few such statements include, 'are there tides in ponds?', 'is Melbourne the capital of Adelaide?', 'does your hair change colour when you die?' Sometimes, you just have to laugh it off. I'm still laughing those ones off today. It's a shame my friends have good memories.

7. Get Facebook. If you want to be a good teenager, get every form of social media possible. If you want to be an even better one, go into your bathroom, stand in front of the mirror and get your best 'selfie face' on. This might mean resembling a duck, putting hair across your lip to make a moustache or just standing there with your eyes open wide and your eyebrows raised. Then take a picture of the mirror and post it for the world to see. Make sure the phone is visible. Why? Apparently it's 'cool'?

NOTE: Don't actually do this. Go and take a cute picture of your dog, or the beach you're holidaying at.

8. If you're a girl, buy lots of Justin Bieber and One Direction merchandise. Wear it, decorate with it, sing along to it. This will make you what is commonly known as a 'Directioner'. Enough said.

9. Get on the driving thing early! It is SO worth it. Incomparable freedom!

10. I just asked my brother for a tip for teenagers. He replied, 'Teenage boys - don't try and understand women. They are far too complex, do not waste the best years of your life trying to understand them. Instead, give up and eat lots of food.' For more tips on this issue refer to my previous post on 'Keeping Women Happy'.

NOTE: My brother has never read my blog. This was genuine advice!

I hope this helped all of my teenage readers out there, and that you could relate to it in some way. Happy Teenaging.

Written for you by TenTipsToday :)


No comments:

Post a Comment