Friday 5 April 2013

Ten Tips for Mornings

Hey!

If you're a morning person, then you're probably not going to need the following advice (though feel free to read along anyway)! This one's for all of you readers who struggle to get out of bed in the morning. I feel your pain - so here's my ten tips for mornings.

1. Set 5 alarms (e.g. 6:00am, 6:30am, 6:45am, 7:00am, 7:15am) and put the alarm device (I use my phone) on the other side of the room. If you're like me, you might like to hide it somewhere you're unlikely to look when you're half asleep. The cupboard down the hall worked well for me last week. These alarms can be set at whatever times you like - but it gives you the opportunity to hit the snooze button (who knew it was so satisfying?!) at least 3 or 4 times before you get up... and by then you're so awake from turning off alarms that you're almost ready to get up anyway! The key word here is 'almost'.

2. Have a routine! I don't know about you, but my brain kicks in at about 9 o'clock in the morning, and everything before that is like my body's on autopilot. It doesn't matter what the routine is... just have one!

3. Coffee is your new best friend. "Eewwww, I hate coffee!" You say? Drink Coke then. Drink Pepsi... even tea has caffeine in it. Don't drink too much though, or your body will literally get addicted to it! It's not necessarily even the caffeine that helps - there's just something happy and fuzzy about warm drinks in the morning. Especially in winter, or if your body thinks it's winter all year 'round like mine does.

4. Learn how your shower works. It will frustrate you to no end having to figure out your shower issues in the mornings. I have a theory that every shower has an issue - in my experience, this has always been true. My shower has a very tight cold tap, and the strong people in my family like to turn it off very hard so that it doesn't drip. I regularly take extremely hot showers or end up having to use my parents' bathroom because I'm too weak to turn it on.
Recently I went away with a group of friends, and I was very excited about the shower. Imagine a huge square plate with a million little holes pointing directly downwards. It sounds amazing, I know. NO! It's impossible to have a shower without washing your hair, it feels like a billion little needles entering your skin, and water goes everywhere every time you open the shower door. Mornings just make everything worse.

5. Don't eat weird food for breakfast. "Hey, there's leftover pizza! Sweet! Breakfast!" Not so fast. Did you just hear yourself? Pizza. Really?
I draw the line at bacon in terms of meat at breakfast time. Granted, pizza is good food and I'm all for leftovers. Wrap your pizza in tin foil and take it to work, school or uni for lunch. Your day just got that much better.

6. Invest in ugg-boots, slippers, socks or all of the above. Enough said.

7. Avoid intelligent conversation at all costs. Not conversations in general - be sociable. But don't enter political debates, or discuss current news issues. Keep it simple, or you might end up saying something you don't really believe, or something that doesn't make sense. Words like 'car park' easily turn into 'par cark' at 7:30 in the morning. "Politics and news issues?" you say, "When would that happen?!" Well, some people have interesting ideas of breakfast conversation.

8. Just because it's Easter doesn't mean you can eat 5 easter eggs and a box of favourites before you even get out of bed. Just because it's Christmas doesn't make it ok to get up at 5am and wake up everyone else in the house to open presents. Just because it's your birthday doesn't mean you should stay up until 12am to check who posted the first birthday comment on your wall, and proceed to stare at your profile for the next 6 hours to see who truly cares about you. You'll never get up in the morning.


9. Buy toothpaste you don't like. You'll start focusing on the disturbing flavour or texture in your mouth and forget how tired you are. For half of the population who supposedly 'hates' mint, you're already set.

10. Never put your keys in weird places. The worst thing about mornings is rushing - especially when you can't find your keys. If you're anything like me it would be wise to check pockets, laptop bags, underwear drawers and filing folders. Or perhaps the hat rack next to the front door. 

I hope you enjoyed these 'tips'. Feel free to post comments of your own favourite 'morning tips'.

Happy mornings!

Written for you by TenTipsToday :)


No comments:

Post a Comment